Saturday, October 12, 2013

George's

What's the best thing about being assigned hearings in Shreveport, LA one day and Austin, TX the next? Driving through Waco! That's right, I get excited to go to Waco.

My sister, Chloe, and her newly-wedded husband, Tanner, moved to Waco this fall so my brother-in-law could attend grad school at Baylor University. (My sister graduated with her master's last spring.) This trip would be the first time seeing them in their new home.

I rolled into Waco on Monday around 5:00 p.m. and chilled in their complex parking lot until my brother-in-law came home with the key. (I had traveled to Waco earlier in the year for work and had used my free time to check-out certain rental properties for my sister. This complex had not been on their list and I suggested they look into it as a potential future home.)

My sister was working until about 7:30 p.m., so, after a quick apartment tour, my brother-in-law and I chilled in front of the TV as I caught up on work and he caught up on ESPN news.

Around 7:30, we drive around the corner and meet up with my sis at George's on Hewitt Drive. I had been wanting to try this restaurant for a year. A hotel clerk once recommended it to me and raved about their Crazy Wings. George's has only two locations in Waco and began serving food back in 1930. They are known for their famous drink "Big O," which was given that name in 1967. George's has catered all over the state and even catered for President George W. Bush while he was at his Crawford ranch.

We decided to sit on the patio because it's Texas in October and only 70 degrees. Our server recommended the Chicken Fried Steak or the Crazy Wings but assured us that everything on the menu was great. And it was. Chloe ordered The Classic hamburger, Tanner ordered the BBQ Sliced Brisket Sandwich, and, breaking from my normal dietary regimen, I ordered Crazy Wings and Big "O" Rings - very much a man's meal I think.

Chloe said it was the best hamburger she's had in Waco. Tanner had no problem finishing his sandwich. And although I couldn't finish my meal, it was pretty amazing.

Crazy Wings consist of "chicken, jack cheese & jalapeƱo wrapped in bacon and fried." I ordered ranch for the dipping sauce but ended up using the house sauce that came with my onion rings.
Crazy Wings
This would commence my week of eating - see Austin Eats & Treats
More important than the food was the conversation and hearty laughs I shared with my sister. It was hard to say goodbye at the end of our meal and head off to Austin alone, but seeing her broke up the lonely monotony of my trip and reminded me that sisters are the best friends a girl can have.
Tanner & Chloe

1 comment:

chloe said...

We didn't know all those facts! Ha. Now the O finally makes sense.

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS