Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Mr. 17D

http://www.clker.com/clipart-13851.html

I sat next to Mr. 17D today on my way from DFW to El Paso. 17D, we'll call him for short, was returning from the Super Bowl with his two sons. He called himself “Charlie from Chihuahua.” He was a very friendly man who was not deterred from talking to me even though I had a book open and even though the flight attendant had emphatically hushed him during the safety demonstration.

Once airborne, 17D began show and tell. First, he showed me the football helmet he had bought at the Super Bowl where his two sons both won $1,000 each on their bet on the Seahawks. He loved his helmet so much he put it on and wore it down the aisle on his trip to the bathroom. After his return he began showing me clothes he had bought while in New York. Asking if I liked them. While this is going on I grab my laptop and begin working furiously. “Don't work. Just relax,” he told me. He ordered a bloody Mary and began showing me pictures on his iPhone of his family, his home, and all his luxurious possessions. He asked if I was married. Said I was very beautiful. Said maybe one day I'd marry a Mexican guy. Maybe. There were intermittent moments of silence where he did in fact let me work. His limited English prevented us from having an open dialogue. I was grateful not only for the language barrier but also for the spare seat between us. Even though I speak English very well, my responses to him were just one word – nice, cool, ok.

17D flagged the flight attendant to ask for another Bloody Mary before landing. I gave the attendant a warning look – not a good idea. Apparently, it wasn't her call to make. 17D was a self-declared alcoholic. At least he was honest.

As we landed, 17D said that maybe in another life he would marry me. Maybe. Let's not forget the wife you already have sir. He gave me his business card. Said maybe I could email him. Maybe. I gave him a card in return. One with a religious link on it. I said it might help with his alcohol problem.

So question:
 
Are you an airplane conversationalist?

If not, how do you politely tell the guy sitting next to you – dude, leave me alone – keeping in mind that the entire airplane is listening to your exchange and you have nowhere to run?

6 comments:

Alan said...

Your tales make me laugh! Sometimes while traveling on planes discretion is the better part of valor and you have to just go with the flow. Once I was traveling back to Houston from somewhere out west on a Monday after the Super Bowl. I had a connection in Las Vegas and a large group of winning fans boarded. They obviously had been celebrating all night - no sleep and lots of alcohol. All the rest of us passengers had to hold our collective tongues until they finally deplaned! Hopefully your flight back home this week won't be quite so noteworthy!

OTR said...

Thanks for sharing Alan. Yeah, that has been my method of choice thus far. Just grin and bear it. But maybe I should work on less grinning. Another tactic, given both our experiences, would be to not fly the week after the Super Bowl. Ha.

Collin Johnson said...

Bring a headset and plug it into the laptop and play music.

OTR said...

Headphones are probably the best bet. Thanks Collin!

chloe said...

I hate talking on planes. Likewise, I hate hearing stories about people having missionary moments on planes because then I just feel guilty the whole time and can't enjoy my isolation.

OTR said...

I'm the same way Chloe. I like to zone out and do my own thing. But I have made a goal this year to be a better missionary. I'll try to keep those stories to myself for your sake. :) Unless this one counts. In which case, I'm sorry for feeding your guilt. Enjoy your isolation. Everyone needs a break sometime. :)

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS