Tuesday, February 11, 2014

TSA Pre-Check


Last week I was at the Houston airport on my way to El Paso.  Because I was only carrying a computer bag, presumably, I got ushered into the TSA pre-check line. Sweet. I zoomed past the ever growing standard security line right up to the conveyor belt. Here I found I did not need to take out my laptop or liquids or remove my belt or shoes. No plastic bins for me! Well, I did have to take off my shoes when they beeped in the metal detector, but if they hadn't (heels!) I would've walked right on through. And that's another thing - there was no body scanner! No need to raise my arms (or shake my hips for that matter).

I was sold on TSA pre-check! Why had I not signed up before?

So today, I finally got on the website thinking I'll just have to insert some personal information, they'll run a background check and voila - no more hassle for me. But wait...it's not so simple.

Sure, I can fill out an application and pre-enroll online, but then I have to drive to an enrollment center to be fingerprinted. The closest one to me and the only one in Houston is 32 miles from my house. I also must pay a non-refundable application fee of $85.00. Humph. Should I complete all these steps successfully and be approved, I will receive a notice in the mail 2-3 weeks after visiting the enrollment center. I will be given a "Known Traveler Number" that is valid for five years. When I book travel on one of the 9 participating airlines, I submit this KTN. A TSA pre-check logo will appear on my boarding pass allowing me to access the TSA pre-check security line. Smaller airports, the ones I frequent most, do not offer this separate security line.

So is this all worth it? Just to spare a few minutes in the security line? To avoid taking off shoes and taking out laptops?

I can understand there has to be some fee involved (although $85 is pretty steep I think) and I understand the need for an expiration date on the KTN. But why are the enrollment centers not at the airport?

Let's think about this. People choosing to sign up for this program are those that travel often. They are at airports on a regular basis. They want to sign up to save time. Why then would they want to drive 30 miles out of their way and take up the precious time they are trying to save by signing up in the first place? The program deals with airport security. The interested parties are frequent flyers. Put the enrollment centers at the airport!

In full disclosure, TSA did just open an application center at Dulles airport (see here). Hopefully the trend will continue.

But until one opens up at Houston Bush, I'll just travel light and smile my way into the pre-check line unapproved.

What about you? Will you sign up? If not, what's stopping you? If you have already, was it worth it?

2 comments:

phil said...

i'm a frequent traveler myself and was recently ushered through the pre-check line (I thought it was due to my trim cut dress shirt and fashionable computer bag and a wink as I came around the corner towards the long line). My only previous interaction with pre-check was when i was late for a flight and the line was long, and as i reached the halfway point, they told everyone to check their boarding pass because some had been randomly chosen to come through pre-check (making me even later for the flight). i was the 3rd to last person on the plane before the shut the door.

I probably won't be signing up for the reasons you listed, and the fact that once they got a big enough group of people I imagine they'll start another program to let people in front of those people, and I'll be right back where I started. Until then I'll continue scheduling my travel during the non peak hours

OTR said...

Thanks for the story Phil! I'm glad you made your flight!

That's true that the pre-check group could grow large enough to no longer provide any perks. Although given the barriers to pre-check approval it might take awhile until that happens.

Next time, I'll try winking as well and see where that gets me. ;)

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS