Sunday, February 2, 2014

So Padre

 
Two weeks ago, after I was stranded in Houston, I made the sudden realization that on the Friday of that week I would be in Harlingen with my car and only 40 minutes from South Padre Island. Why I had not thought of this before driving down to South Texas is beyond me. After my week's travel woes, I decided I earned at least one night on the beach to relax and rejuvenate. With my saved up hotel points I booked a night at no cost.

After my hearing ends Friday afternoon, I am giddy with anticipation. The weather in Harlingen had been sunny and 75 all week and I am excited to soak up some good quality Vitamin D.

My first stop is Target where I purchase a beach chair, umbrella and tanning lotion. I head down State Highway 100 and with each passing palm tree my stress gradually gives way to relaxation.

I pass Port Isabel and reach the Queen Isabella Causeway, the longest causeway in Texas at 2.369 miles. On the bridge, signs tell me to Watch Out for Pelicans. I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to do when I see one? But I keep a look out just in case.

I easily find my hotel off South Padre Blvd (the only main thoroughfare on the island). I drop off my stuff and head straight to the beach. As I reach the sand I realize the beach is much cooler than the mainland and opt to keep my sweatshirt on. I guess my umbrella and tanning lotion purchases were a bit ambitious. It is still January. As the sun gets lower and the beach gets colder I head in.


I get in my car and drive down the boulevard headed north. Past the beach houses and condos, the road narrows into two lanes with sand dunes on both sides. As I continue to drive the road gets narrower and narrower as the sand drifts onto the shoulder and then onto the road. Eventually all that is left of the road is half of a marginally passable lane with no signs of clearing in the distance. Visions of being swallowed up in sand and getting my car stuck with no one to save me compel me to stop and turn around. The red mini van that had been following me for the past 3 miles decides to do the same. I turn around and head back to civilization.

After surveying my dinner options, I settle for Big Boys Bar & Grill. It's Friday night in a tourist town and I'm not sure I want to dine in alone, but I don't want to go back to my hotel either. The host doesn't give me a choice, declares it's a table for one, and let's me pick my booth. I shouldn't have been worried. It may be Friday night in a beach town, but it's only 5 o'clock in the off season and the only other people in the restaurant are Winter Texans. I feel very comfortable.

My waiter approaches my table and immediately asks, "Oh, where's your date?" Without waiting for a response he jumps in, "I'll be your date!" If he had been ten years older I may have taken him up on the offer. But seeing as he appeared to be under 21, I declined. Waiter was talkative, and honest, and when I asked how the fish was he replied, "Eh, it's nothing special." With that glowing endorsement I ordered it. 

After dinner I head to the hotel to both work and work-out before making my way to the hot tub.  The hotel is eerily quiet and as I make my way through the maze-like hallways I neither see nor hear any other guests.

The front desk man tells me I'll have the hot tub all to myself as I am only 1 of 6 guests that night, a busy night for the off season. He also warns that it's pretty dark out there. After being assured that he would at least hear me if I scream, I sink into the warm water, gaze at the stars, and chill out to tunes from a playlist designed specifically for a hot tub like environment.* This is what I had been craving all week.

After a glorious night's sleep, quick breakfast, and purchase of postcards, I head back to the beach. This time I leave the sweatshirt behind. I plop my chair down in the sand, angle it towards the sun, and sink in. As I look around, I see no other lounger, not one. Instead, I see walkers. Up and down the coast there are pedestrians, joggers, dogs, lots of people, but everyone is moving. It's high traffic time at the beach. I've never seen anything quite like it. This must be the Winter Texan way. Never mind, I think, I plan on being as sedentary as possible. But well, I admit, sometimes that's hard for me to do. I couldn't stay there forever, it wasn't quite warm enough for that. So after a good long while, I check out.

Before leaving the island I stop at the South Padre sign and meet some more Winter Texans. They're from Michigan and got here December 30. They don't plan on leaving until the end of February. It's their first time in South Texas. They offer to take my picture. I decline until they tell me I can climb above the sign.

It's here I also learn of the Padre of South Padre. His name was Padre Nicolas Balli. He founded the island's first settlement in 1804 after receiving the land from King Charles IV of Spain.


I delay my trip home a bit longer as I stop in Port Isabel on the other side of the bridge. I tour the lighthouse built in 1852.

I walk over to Pelican Pier and get a shot of the bridge.


And last but not least, I grab a Blue Bell Rocky Mountain Road ice-cream cone at Davey Jones Ice-Cream Locker.

Unable to delay it any more, I make my way back to the car and head home. More relaxed, more at peace, and more in love with South Texas.


*The playlist I listened to in the hot tub was sent to me that night by a friend. They were all new songs to me. Check it out and tell me what you think in the comments. If you have music suggestions of your own, please share! I'm in constant need of good road trip music.

Fossil Collective: Let it Go
Fossil Collective: On and On
The Deep Dark Woods: 18th of December   (This recording isn't the best but I like the song.)
Chief: Night & Day
The Vaccines: If You Wanna
The Avett Brothers: Kick Drum Heart
The Avett Brothers: Slight Figure of Speech
Beach House: Other People
 

1 comment:

Alan said...

Sounds like a fun trip! Glad you had a bit of beach time on this one!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS